"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Thursday, February 11, 2010

Learning Chinese!

After only a week of practice, I can speak some very basic Mandarin! I am learning with Pimsleur CDs and am really enjoying it! It's only by repetition and hearing the spoken words over and over again. There are no books. I am more of a visual learner, and I sometimes write out how I think the word would be written. I think the only good thing about having a long drive to work is learning my daughter's language!

I just ordered a CD today from a family who has adopted. They made a CD of basic words and sentences in Mandarin that will help parents to communicate with their new child. I can't wait to get it! Families are mentioning translator devices. I will have to check that out as well. I keep hearing that at Yue Lu's age, she will learn English fairly quickly. I just want to be prepared though, and have her not get upset of frustrated if she can't communicate with us.

Wow...I just can't wait to meet my new daughter and hear her little voice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment