"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Oh Boy!

Well...some bad news today. Lulu's PPD test for TB came back positive. Her chest x-ray last week was NORMAL, so she does not have active TB. But from what I understand, she was either exposed to TB in China and it is inactive, or since she had the BCG vaccine in China, her test is showing a false positive. I really need to research it and we have another appointment with the infectious disease doctor to see what's next. My guess is that she may be having to start treatment soon, and from now on they will just do chest x-rays instead of the PPD test. This seems to be pretty common, but I was told the medication is very bitter and treatment is for several months.

Also, after just posting on how much better Lulu was doing, she had a few rough days again. I feel that it was because she was so tired from having some very active days without any naps and some rough nights sleeping. She had a bad tantrum at the pediatrician's office on Monday that started in the waiting room with head banging and all. We were waiting for at least 25 min, and this is where her first doctor's appt was where they took 6 vials of blood. So between being tired, impatient, and scared, it was only a matter of time that she was going to start having a tantrum. People must have thought I was a terrible mother since I tried as little as possible to stop her (until she hit her head on the floor vs her forearm) because whenever we try to stop her it only makes her tantrums much worse. By time they finally called us back I had to pick her up with her legs flailing and with her screaming at the top of her lungs. Then she continued to head bang on the floor in the treatment room.

Yesterday I was able to leave her at the early learning center, but by 2 1/2 hours later I had to return since she had a BAD tantrum there. The teacher looked pale and frazzled, and two other teachers had to come into the class to take over. She broke open some skin on her hand from biting it so hard, and before that she threw a toy at a boy. My poor Lulu...I am so worried about returning to work in less than 2 weeks. I pretended that I went to work yesterday and today while she was at the center, but she was only there for 3 hours each day. Today she started a tantrum right away, but I was able to get her to stop before it got too bad. She wouldn't let me leave though until an hour later. Other than the tantrums (and her impatience which is getting a little better), she is just pure joy! I love her so much and I get so emotional that sometimes it's so hard not to cry in front of her. I know one day we will look back to this time and find it hard to believe that she ever coped in this way. I just hope that day is not too far off since sometimes she bangs so hard that I know it just has to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment