"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Sunday, July 18, 2010

Happy Days!

After a few rough weeks, Lulu seems to be in a happier place. We had several major tantrums with her over the past 3 weeks...at two different doctor's visits, at the Early Learning Center, the Library, her tutor's house, at her PT evaluation, and less intense ones at Grandmas and at the beach. Once they are full blown, we are unable to console her or redirect her behavior (hard head banging, biting and pinching herself, flailing her body when we try to move her, etc).

However, the past week (excluding one or two tantrums) she has been doing a lot better. Lulu has been drawing happy faces, and now sings a "Happy Face" and "Happy" song that she made up. I hope that the reasons for the changes have to do with increased activity and a lot of sensory integration 'stuff' that we've been doing with her. With suggestions from the PT, OT and stuff I've been reading in books on Sensory Processing Disorder, I've incorporated what's called a 'sensory diet' into Lulu's schedule.

A lot of Lulu's sensory issues are tactile (she does not like to be or would not accept a lot of touching from us), and vestibular (does not like swings or lack of control over them). So, we've incorporated several things. I went and bought a really nice rocking chair from someone off Craigslist (I love the look of this one..not old fashioned looking and very comfortable), she is using a hand held vibrator for vestibular and sensory input that I showed her how to rub on her arms, legs, face and head (and she enjoys just holding it which we first discovered at her initial PT session), I've been doing joint compressions and deep pressure on her arms and legs, and firmly rubbing her down her back, and we just received her new mini trampoline with a handle two days ago in the mail. She LOVES jumping on it! Also, more time at the park, kicking and running after a ball, throwing the ball, yesterday practicing dribbling the ball. I am no longer doing canine rehab, and I picked up all my equipment from where I was working. The equipment includes a BOSU ball, a rehab scooter, stability balls, and a dynadisc. I just started some ball work with Lulu, and she was doing so well with some of the exercises and knew what to do, so I asked her if she did this in China. She said she did and I believe her. I'm pretty sure she didn't have any formal rehab by any licensed professioonals, but things that she has shown me or knows how to do, amazes me. Whoever worked with her in China knew what she needed! She enjoys doing 'rehab' and also working with her hand. Two days ago she made necklaces out of string and beads, and was able to do it without too much time using both hands. She also rides the scooter face down throughout the house, which helps to strengthen her core and her right upper extremity as she's propelling herself forward and in circles on it.

So, the results of the new stuff we've been doing...
1) She now lets me wash her hair, comb her hair (a little), and wash her. (Yes, she can do these things by herself, but letting me do them is huge! She is trusting me and enjoying being touched!
2) She has been sitting on my lap, leaning on me, giving me a lot more kisses and hugs!
3) She appears to be more confident
4) Her small tantrums at home are getting smaller and lasting for shorter periods
5) She is Happy and says she is Happy!
6) She is getting stronger and spending more time on the equipment at the park

Also, Lulu was finally able to stay at the Early Learning Center again without me for a few hours on Friday. She also had a fun day playing with two girls adopted from China who have been home awhile and speak English. The girls' mother was so kind to invite us to lunch and then have Lulu go to their house without me to get her used to being away from me, and to have fun play time with her girls. This was all on Friday and she did fantastic! I had Lulu's tutor meet us at the Early Learning Center and she spent an hour with her while I left to explain to her that mommy is working, but I will always come back for her. I was worried that Lulu would have a tantrum once the tutor left, but she didn't! The teacher said she did great and played with some of the kids. So...I hope this continues because I really go back to work in 2 weeks. We are going to keep pretending that I have to go to work and see how she does. I really hope we can have a repeat of how well she did last week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - so glad to hear that things are turning a corner...the drawing happy faces is big - her drawings are little windows to her soul. I keep a sprial notebook and pen in the car for k -she gets in and starts drawing -everyday - it is a way for her to vent or just doodle.

    Hope you have another great week. See you at next mths dinner...
    c & k

    ReplyDelete