"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Friday, December 10, 2010

Lulu has strep throat and Baxter is heading towards surgery

What an emotionally and physically draining few days. It started Tuesday night where I woke up and had 4 episodes of vomitting and nausea. I think it was from food poisoning, but I have swollen lymph nodes and still don't have much of an appetite, so I'm not sure what's going on. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday since I'm also having strange leg pain that's been bothering me for several weeks now.

On Wednesday night, Lulu had a fever of 101. I gave her Motrin and she came to our room in the middle of the night and wanted to sleep with us. I felt her body and she was burning up all over. She had a fever of 104. With alternating between Tylenol and Motrin, it kept going down a little, then back up. I took her to the doctor and she was diagnosed with strep throat and prescribed Amoxicillin. The doctor said she should start feeling a lot better, but it turned out her temperature escalated to 105.5 degrees last night. We rushed to the hospital and they gave her a Tylenol suppository. After an hour and a half her temp went down to 100 and they let us go. We still don't have her temp completely down and she is just miserable. Her nose has been running nonstop for the past 2 days. I may take her to an urgent care center in the morning. She has also been scratching several bug bites on her legs that are looking infected. I am so worried that she may have a staph infection as well. She has been getting Aveno baths and the scratching improved a lot, but the look of the sores has me worried.

Our dog Baxter was diagnosed today with having multiple tumors on his spleen, one the size of a baseball and others the size of golf balls. They did not see any tumors on his liver or other organs. His heart if functioning extremely low as well. He was put on 2 medications and we should know on Monday when he can have surgery. If the tumors are not in any other organs, they will remove the spleen. But if they have spread to other organs, they will not proceed, and not have him wake up. I am still in shock about the news, but knew it wasn't going to be good. He is so skinny. He has to remain calm and only be let out on a leash for toileting since the tumors can burst, which will be fatal. It's so hard to believe what is going on and I feel so helpless right now. I hate seeing my little girl so sick and am really worried about Brad if Baxter does not get through this.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kathie, we are praying for you and the family. Please keep us updated by post or e-mail.

    ReplyDelete