"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Tuesday, December 7, 2010

First Thanksgiving, Lulu and Maggie, and our dog Baxter

I can't believe how long it's been since I posted!!! And how little time I feel like I have anymore. My hours at work have been extended a little, and the nights just fly by. I know everyone is busy and I just don't know how families do it with several kids, as single parents, or having to work very long hours. Lulu is not tired until at least 9pm, and I'm usually right behind her. I used to be able to wake up really early and try to have some time for myself, but Lulu seems to hear me lately, and gets up when I do.

It has taken 6 months to get Lulu to sleep in her own room. We didn't push it in the beginning, and it has been a long, tiring transition. We still struggle with it every night since she fights us going to bed, and wakes us up several times a night banging her head on the bed. We praise her all the time for sleeping by herself. Something she has never done before. She also still needs to have us in a room with her unless she is really involved playing with a toy or coloring. We've had major ups and downs over the past 6 months. Lulu will have several fantastic days at school and at home, and then several days where she has hit kids at school and completely defiant at home. We had a really good stretch of weeks about a month ago. We just got in to see a counselor today who we need to go through to get to the child psychiatrist we want to see. She is highly recommended and experienced with international adoption issues. I've read several books and wish that the one I am reading now was the first one I've read since it is excellent so far.

We spent our first Thanksgiving together in Orlando at my sister's place. Lulu really enjoyed seeing her Aunts and my parents again. We will have Christmas here with my family. Lulu is starting to get a little excited about Christmas. I'm sure she will be more excited next year after she knows what to expect. She loves all the lights on people's houses. She was such a good helper picking out a tree and helping us with the decorations. I still need to get her a Christmas dress and pictures with Santa... if he doesn't freak her out!

Lulu got to see her friend Maggie from China who was adopted at the same time Lulu was. Her family lives several hours away, so we met halfway in Gainesville at the Museum of Natural History. The girls were so cute together, first chasing each other and then holding hands most of the day. Maggie's mom and I were curious if the girls were going to speak to each other in Mandarin. Lulu said a few words in Mandarin the night before as if she was practicing her native language. It turned out the girls spoke English the entire time! We're looking forward to getting together again. I am so glad that Lulu has Maggie here, in Florida, and that they will be able to visit with each other.

Our dog Baxter is very ill. He is our medium sized, 8 year old hound dog that loves kids, animals, everything. He is the sweetest and quirkiest dog. I know he was so excited when Lulu came home, but Lulu is indifferent with him, and is nicer to our smaller dog Lily. Over the past couple weeks I've noticed how skinny Baxter was becoming. He has lost a lot of muscle and has facial atrophy. He had lab work done that shows significant elevated white blood cells (infection) and his liver levels are extremely low. His kidney levels were at the low end as well. They are running more tests and he will be scheduled soon for a diagnostic ultrasound. I really fear cancer due to all the weight he has lost in such a short time. The vet thinks that it's a possibility due to his age, or that it's a chronic infection. His liver is enlarged but does not have any swelling. I've been trying to explain to Lulu that Baxter (BooBoo) is really sick, fearing the worst. Brad and I love this dog so much and will do anything to make him comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment