"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First Doctor's appointment in the US

Yesterday Yue Lu went to her first doctor's appointment. I really liked this pediatrician and he did great with Yue Lu. Unfortunately, she had to have 6 vials of blood taken to test for a multitude of things. And I have the pleasure of putting stool samples in 7 containers! Yuck! I am pleased though that the doctor wants to do titers before giving any vaccinations, and wants to check all her organ functions, check for parasites, to see if she's had chicken pox, etc. Yue Lu had vaccines in China, but we don't know how accurate they are, and I don't even have her actual immunization records right now. We did not get them back while we were at her medical examination in China. Her doctor is also going to test for heavy metal poisoning, liver and thyroid function, Hep A, B, C, HIV and syphilis. Some of the medical information that I do have states that she's had several of these vaccines, but again, who knows if she really had them or if they were effective.

It was so hard having to actually hold Yue Lu down for the blood to be drawn. She was screaming and pissed, and after 2 vials being taken from one arm, they had to switch to the other since her vein blew. Although it sounded like she was cursing at us during it (which I'm sure she was), she unbelievably shared her piece of chocoloate with us that the nurse gave her. She can be so sweet!

Yue Lu's pediatrician is going to prescribe PT, OT and refer her to an audiologist, neurologist, internal med physician, and a developmentalist. We're going to be busy this summer with all these appts, and I will schedule visits in the order of importance. I actually think Yue Lu will enjoy PT and OT. I am looking forward to meeting the neurologist in person. This very generous man reviewed Yue Lu's medical file for us before we made the decision to adopt her. I contacted Nemours and asked if a pediatric neurologist could review her file. I was told that it's not something they usually do, however this neurologist called me directly and offered to do it. I was so touched by his generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment