"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break."
--An ancient Chinese belief




Thursday, June 24, 2010

Father's Day, Home One Month, and Separation Anxiety


I'm so behind with posting! Brad had a really nice Father's Day. We went out to breakfast in the morning, brought Lulu to the park, and then Jonathan came over and we all went to the beach. Afterwards, we went out for a late lunch. Brad loves going to the beach, as well as Lulu, and it was good to see Jonathan again. Unfortunately, we don't see him as much as we'd like since he is working 2 jobs, and he's almost 21. Not many kids his age want to hang out with their parents. Lulu just adores Jonathan and he is so good at playing with her. Brad went to see Lulu at my friend's Early Learning Center on the Friday before Father's Day. They had a Father's Day event where the kids and fathers had ice cream and the dad's were given a handmade framed picture that says #1 Dad. Lulu seemed really happy that we were there. The teacher told Brad that some of the fathers arrived before Brad did, and Lulu was starting to get a little upset that her daddy wasn't there yet. I would hate to think what would have happened if Brad could not have been there.

We've been home over a month now, and I feel that Lulu is attaching very well to us. She is still understandably grieving and at times out of no where, it seems like it just hits her. She gets a look on her face and says, "tola" (sp?) which means wrong in Mandarin. I believe she starts thinking of her foster brothers and younger sister who was adopted before she was, and that she is not with them or her friends from the orphanage. A lot of times when this happens it's in the mornings after she's been up for about an hour. She has mentioned her foster brothers' names several times this past week. Her life and schedule is so different now, and not having siblings around must be a really hard adjustment. We still think that she is doing amazingly well overall. She is also so smart...we are so amazed by what she is picking up from us, and her thinking process.

Last week I was able to leave Lulu at my friend's Early Learning Center two times for a few hours. She did great and had a lot of fun. This week has been a different story. Brad brought her on Monday morning since I had to go in to work to help my boss with some interviews. Brad said that she had the worst tantrum so far where she was throwing stuff in the room, knocking toys off the tables and just screaming and crying, and of course wanting to get on the floor and bang her head. No one could console her, and eventually Brad had to leave with her and bring her to work with him. I tried again on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I had to stay with her each time. There was no way she was letting me leave her. If she just cried and screamed, I could leave her and know that she would eventually stop. But she drops to the floor and starts to bang her head on the floor or her forearm. I just had to redirect her and the only thing that made her stop was telling her that we could go home. This was on Tuesday. Instead of going straight home, we went to lunch and a couple of stores, then played the rest of the day at home. It turned out to be a really good day and she was very happy. This morning she flat out said she did not want to go to school. I decided not to push it since we were having a pool playdate with my friend and her 4 year old son in the early afternoon. I really need to get her on a schedule before I go back to work, but maybe she just isn't ready yet? Or maybe I should just continue bringing her regularly and hope that it will get easier and that I can leave her like I did last week. I'm really not sure what I should do at this point. She really needs to interact with other children and in a classroom setting. Before we left the center yesterday, she went up to one little girl who was being so nice to her, and gave her a hug goodbye. So I was surprised that she didn't want to go back today. I explained that I would stay with her, but she flat out did not want to go.

Tomorrow morning we have an appointment with the neurologist. I am really hoping we can get out the door without incident since we have an early appointment. I'm curious to hear what the neurologist has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment